9.15.2010

Zion 4

The day's destination: Scout's Lookout and Angel's Landing.
The Park's description of the trail reads "Strenuous with steep drop-offs and narrow trail. Not for anyone fearful of heights. Ends at summit high above Zion Canyon. Last 0.5 mi (0.8 km) follows a steep, narrow ridge; chains have been added." The round trip hike is 5 miles, takes 4 hours and provides a 1488 foot elevation gain.

Zoom of Angel's Landing.
Looking down from Scouts Lookout.
Beginning of trail to Angel's Landing from Scout's Lookout.
This is the first section. You have plenty of room but there's a drop off of over 1000 feet to the right. This is where a good portion of the hikers decide not to push forward.From there, the trail really ups the ante. The path 3-4 feet wide. That sounds plenty wide until it's paired with 1000+ foot drop offs on either side. There are chains in places and nothing in other areas. It's rocky terrain which causes you to scramble on your hands and knees to get up/down 1-3 foot lifts and drops. Oh, and it's sandstone, so everything is covered with a nice layer of slippery sand.

I was doing fine...until I wasn't. We were halfway through the crazy section when my gut said "no mas, nu-uh, not gonna do it". This picture really doesn't capture how crazy the trial was where I quit. But I said Shawn "take my damn picture and get me off this damn rock".
Shawn, on the other hand, thought the trail was the bees knees. After he got me off the damn rock, we sat for a bite to eat at Scouts Landing. We were treated to a little show from a California Condor.
California Condor in the distance.

On the way up and down, hikers face Walter's Wiggles. The Wiggles are 21 switchbacks that climb the stone face.

Shawn making his way down.
Wiggling my way down.
Someone pretending she's a plane on Walter's Wiggles.
A balancing rock.
Looking down at some more the switchbacks.
Just a bit of a slope on this trail.
At the end of the hike. We're both intact and smiling.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Just the pictures make me want to puke in fear. I think you're awesome for getting so far.

Bahston Beans said...

If you google Angel's Landing, there are crazier pictures. We weren't going to hang over the edge to get those!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I didn't know about this part of the trip before you went--I've always known that Shawn had a bit of a reckless streak but I thought you had more sense. Glad that you had a wonderful trip and are home safely. The pictures are fantastic.
Love, Janet

Anonymous said...

Oh my - So glad you didn't ask us to join you on this trip. Way too adventurous for me, yet it must have been so very beautiful. You can call yourselves professional hikers now! Mom (:

Grandma said...

Seriously, weren't your knees weak? Can't get over those views and the scariness of it!