5.19.2010

Home Improvement Stage 1

Here's my theory: home improvement = the Kübler-Ross stages of grief. I honestly believe that home improvement moves along these stages.

Stage # 1 = Denial
This photo shows my Dad right as we entered the depths of denial. "I feel fine. This can't be happening, not to me." That's right. The previous owner put on wall paper without prepping or sizing the all. They also decided to use some type of space alien from the future rubber cement super glue.

Normally, you have the choice of scoring, spraying with chemicals or steaming. We had to do all of them, more than once each, plus some vinegar for good measure.

It may look like we have removed the wall paper here. But that's not accurate. Wall paper has two layers: the decorative layer and the backing. We had only made it past the first layer and we were hours into the project!
Fun, fun, fun! Thanks for the good times Dad!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I agree with the stages of home improvement. I always like when we hit the "who the hell thought up this project?" stage.

Amy said...

Oh psssh, just paint over that wallpaper. That always comes out lookin' real nice.

Anonymous said...

We ALWAYS have fun when we're with you - even taking off super-glued wallpaper! Mom (: