9.21.2009

When in Maine...

Maine is known for a lot of things: blueberries, lighthouses, lobster, cold winters, rocky coastline, forests...and GUNS. That's right, guns.

Prior to this trip, my closest gun experience was sitting in DARE class while Officer Bianchi had a gun on his hip. I'm not going to get too much into it. But growing up, I only had one image of guns: horrible. They meant death, drugs, criminals, killing Bambi, everything and everything awful. So even being in the same car as a gun made me nervous, even though it was in a locked case, barrel locked, trigger locked and not loaded.

Here is my first up close and personal look at a gun. Jared is explaining where the bullets go and how it works. He also gave a serious and lengthy safety talk. Please note the confused look on my face. This was already pushing the limits of my comfort zone I had to sit and calm down for a bit.

On the other hand, Shawn was pumped. He had shot a gun before for Scout camp and was ecstatic about the afternoon's activity.Smoke exiting barrel. (Sorry Jared if I have all the terms wrong.)Shooting skeet.Amy and James at a safe distance. Don't worry, everyone had ear plugs.Jared showing us how it's done.Demolishing a skeet.It's about an hour later now and my heart rate had returned to normal. So I decided to touch the gun. Jared was amazingly patient and had a safety first attitude which I completely appreciated.Profusely sweating now, I decided to shoot (forward at a sand wall). Here's the countdown.
Bam! Please blow up that image and check out my face...the face of a pro. HA! I look so freaked out. I was. I'm pretty sure the number of chins I'm sporting makes it clear that I'm an ameteur. I put the safety back on and gave Jared the gun back. Then I had to go sit down. Seriously.
But those aren't my favorite images of the day, these are. Please behold Amy, around 8 months pregnant, taking a few rounds. Like I said, when in Maine...
I really think this should be on the baby shower invite.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yup. We sure do know how to have a good time.
Next time we'll get some bear.

Anonymous said...

Gee, Kel - you sure were brave. Now don't ever do that again!!! Mom

Katy Shamitz said...

you are SO COUNTRY.

Grandma said...

I heard about this!

Bahston Beans said...

Amy - I read that quickly and thought you said "get some beer". I almost fell out of my chair.