6.24.2010

Roasterphobic

Hello. My name is Kelly and I am roasterphobic - severely roasterphobic in fact.

That's right. It's official. Jim Perdue diagnosed me via his online roasterphobia test. The diagnosis was made a few months ago so I've had some time to accept it. Ever since that day I've been on a hunt for a Perdue Oven Ready Roaster. Last weekend, my dream came true and I spotted this beauty in the meat section.
Why was I so interested in this bad boy? It comes in a cooking bag. There's no need to ever make contact with the chicken until it is cooked. Jim Perdue is my hero.

The directions seemed easy enough but I was nervous.
Step 1 : Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut open outer blue bag and remove Oven Ready Roaster Bone-In Breast, sealed in cooked bag, place in a shallow roasting pan, seasoned side up.
Kelly step 1a - Google "roasting pan". Determine that you don't have a roasting pan. Pick between a pan and a glass dish. I selected the pan.

Step 2: Cut one small 1 inch slit in cooking bag over the breast to vent during cooking. Note: Cooking bag will expand during cooking; allow enough room for the bag to expand without touching oven rack or walls.
Step 3: (From fresh, from frozen takes longer) Place pan with Roaster Breast (still in cooking bag) on lower shelf of oven and roast for approximately 80 to 90 minutes until internal temperature of the breast reaches 170 deg F.
Kelly step 3a - Put pan in hot oven, realize your top rack is definitely in the way, wish you were better at paying attention while reading, move piping hot top rack.
Kelly step 3b - Wonder who the heck has or needs a meat thermometer anyways?

Making Shawn earn his keep.
Ta-Da! It's finished.
But how does it taste?
The verdict is in...YUMMY!
Corn, chicken and caramelized onions. Mmm Mmm good.
I'm still roasterphobic but I think this counts as a teeny tiny baby step in the right direction.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're on your way to cooking a complete turkey dinner for Thanksgiving! Congratulations!!! Mom (:

Grandma said...

Run for the hills Kel..before you ever have to cook that Thanksgiving turkey...I still have flashbacks of your Grandma taking care of the turkey in the sink. Good job on the chicken! You have to see the link on how to cook a chicken from U. Jerry's cousin. I'll send it! xo

Amy said...

Strong progress....

Anonymous said...

Now you're ready to try Brian's way in the grill. It looks delicious!
Congratulations. Did Shawn like it? You should make him cook the next time. Love, Janet