8.04.2008

Franconia Notch 2

We headed down the road to the basin.
There were signs everywhere saying to stay off the rocks. I looked down for a second to get the camera and where was Shawn? On the rocks.
Playing around with shutter speed.
This is the basin. The granite has been smoothed by small stones and sand whirled around by the Pemigewasset River.

Next up was the flume. I half expected to board a log canoe and head down one of those amusement park water rides.

The loop trail to the flume is a couple miles and at times is a little tougher than anticipated. But it is nice and relaxing if you take your time.
This is where you begin to enter the flume. The Flume is a natural gorge extending 800 feet in length. The granite walls rise to a height of 70 to 90 feet and are 12 to 20 feet apart.

This picture gives an idea of the steepness of the walk in the flume.




Playing with shutter speed again.

Shawn on another covered bridge.
The view from the bridge.
There was a sign marking this as a fox den. While Shawn went to explore, I stayed behind to "take a pic".

5 comments:

Grandma said...

I want to go there w/ my styrofoam noodle!! what cool pictures!!! xo

Anonymous said...

Great pictures -- it brings back lots of memories. What was Shawn going to do if the foxes were in the den? I hope he planned to run real fast! Glad you had a good time -- Janet

Anonymous said...

Your terrific photos combined with your interesting descriptions make me want to tour the Notch! let's bring Aunt Kit with her styrofoam noodle! Mom xo

Bahston Beans said...

I'm not sure what Shawn would have done if there was a fox. But I would have definitely taken a video, posted it on youtube and made millions!

Anonymous said...

You know,of course, that I tried to teach him not to do foolish things like climbing on rocks and looking in fox dens don't you. Maybe it's the Eagle Scout stuff (it's probably a good thing that I only know about half of what went on during camping trips) that convinces him he can do these things. Good luck and keep the movie camera handy, you'll probably have many opportunities to make millions on youtube (you will share won't you ?)
Love, Janet